[mythtv-users] Modding NSK2480 for rear exhaust fans

Brian Long briandlong at gmail.com
Thu Dec 3 12:09:48 UTC 2009

On Wed, Dec 2, 2009 at 9:04 PM, Yan Seiner <yan at seiner.com> wrote:
> You can buy fans with built-in termistors.  They self-regulate; a good one
>  with ball bearings will set you back about $12.  At low RPM you can't hear
> them at all; it's only when the air gets warmer that the fan speeds up.
>
> Google for thermistor case fan

Not that this helps the OP, but I plan to try the NoiseMagic NMT-3
inside a cabinet:
http://www.frozencpu.com/products/5298/tmp-30/NoiseMagic_ThemoControl_NMT-3_w_3-pin_Connector.html

I'll route a 3-pin 12V cord through a PCI bracket and out to the fan:
http://www.monoprice.com/products/product.asp?c_id=104&cp_id=10421&cs_id=1042102&p_id=2371&seq=1&format=2

The following page shows how the fan will ramp up from 5V to 12V
depending on the temperature (NMT-2 scales from 30-50 degrees, NMT-3
28-42 degrees Celcius).  Many folks cut and extend the thermistor as
needed.
http://www.noisemagic.de/info/nmt-2/info.htm#english

/Brian/