[mythtv-users] Advice on media players

Brian Wood beww at beww.org
Thu Dec 3 15:23:14 UTC 2009

On Thursday 03 December 2009 08:10:03 am Johnny Walker wrote:
> > XBox-360s, PS3s and Wiis can be used with the UPnP server in a Myth
> > backend. Also the D-Link DSM-520, and similar devices.
>
> How does one use the Wii as frontend? I'm planning on getting a Wii
> this Cristmas and that would be greatness.

Not a full frontend, but to simply access Myth's stored media.

I based that comment on the fact that the PlayOn server now has Wii
support, albeit still in beta.

PlayOn is designed to work with UPnP renderers/control points, so given the
fact that there is a UPnP server in Myth it should be possible to access
Myth's media with a Wii. Granted you would not have a full frontend, and
things like commercial skipping would not be available, it should be possible
to play Myth's content.

So I wouldn't buy a Wii just as a frontend, a Revo is the same price and can
run a full F/E, but if you have a Wii you should be able to access media.

I don't have a Wii, but my brother does and I plan to see what it can do, but
as always YMMV.

The gaming consoles are not the best solutions for Myth, but because many
folks already have them, it's good to re-purpose them for something else
after you get tired of the games (generally about 2 days).