[mythtv-users] Advice on media players

belcampo belcampo at zonnet.nl
Thu Dec 3 16:24:32 UTC 2009

Michael Tiller wrote:
> I have a MythTV system (MythBuntu 9.10) that is the hub of my media
> network.  My in-laws live with us and they currently use a MediaMVP to
> access their programs.  However, we are getting them an HDTV and so we
> want to have an HD capable media player to go with it
>
> My wife and I have a Popcorn Hour in our room and it basically works.
> Not exactly the most polished piece of hardware but at least it has the
> necessary codecs, etc.  By the way, in case anybody is interested I
> wrote my own custom web app to provide a crude MythTV interface to the
> Popcorn Hour.  Only supports playback and deletion, but that is all we
> needed.  You can find the source code here
> <http://github.com/mtiller/MythPCH>.
Downloaded it, followed the instructions, FYI __init__.py is zero byte
file, but running ./controller.py as user mythtv or as root gives me:
Traceback (most recent call last):
   File "./controller.py", line 209, in <module>
     main()
   File "./controller.py", line 204, in main
     root = Root()
   File "./controller.py", line 61, in __init__
     db='mythconverg')
   File "/usr/lib/python2.5/site-packages/MySQLdb/__init__.py", line 75,
in Connect
     return Connection(*args, **kwargs)
   File "/usr/lib/python2.5/site-packages/MySQLdb/connections.py", line
164, in __init__
     super(Connection, self).__init__(*args, **kwargs2)
_mysql_exceptions.OperationalError: (2005, "Unknown MySQL server host
'<mm>' (1)")
It says unknown server host mm
mysql.txt reads:
DBHostName=mm
# By default, Myth tries to ping the DB host to see if it exists.
# If your DB host or network doesn't accept pings, set this to no:
DBHostPing=no
DBUserName=mythtv
DBPassword=mythtv
DBName=mythconverg
and my prompt reads
[mythtv at mm MythPCH]$
So what am I doing/ could I've been doing wrong ?
I also tried localhost and the local IP number.