[mythtv-users] NewEgg Cheap Nvidia GT220 Cards

Brian Wood beww at beww.org
Thu Dec 3 17:00:14 UTC 2009

On Thursday 03 December 2009 09:50:11 am Yeechang Lee wrote:
> Brian Long <briandlong at gmail.com> says:
> > MSI N220GT-MD1G GeForce GT 220 1GB 128-bit GDDR2 - $40
> > http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814127455
> >
> > ASUS ENGT220/DI/1GD2(LP) GeForce GT 220 1GB 128-bit DDR2 - $50
> > http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814121347
>
> I'm waiting for two things to occur before I buy one:
>
> * A fanless GT 220.

I have a fanless 9500 card.

After renting a forklift to help the UPS driver deliver the crate, I did
manage to get the card into a case, blocking the PCI slot next to it. Modern
mobos generally do not have PCI slots to throw away as heatsink spacers.

Rather then worry about "fanless", I'd try to find a quiet, reliable fan, if
it's needed for cooling.

Generally a "fanless" card requires good airflow through the case to cool the
heatsink, which simply transfers the fan to someplace other than on the
card.

There are quiet fans available, which anyone with normal hearing shouldn't
be bothered with.

Of course, having lived in Manhattan for many years, I am somewhat
immune to noise. I often wonder where some of the people complaining
about fan noise live, in an anechoic chamber? My watch makes more noise
than some fans I have heard.

</tongue-in-cheek>