[mythtv-users] NewEgg Cheap Nvidia GT220 Cards

Yeechang Lee ylee at pobox.com
Thu Dec 3 18:47:52 UTC 2009

John Drescher <drescherjm at gmail.com> says:
> My biggest problem with these fans is that at some point in 2 to 5
> years the fan will die causing you to have to either replace the card
> or try to hack a replacement since there seems to be no standard fan.

Yes, this matters to me more than the noise, which Brian accurately
noted is very, very low. The frontend sits on one side of the living
room with the couch on the other; I've never been able to hear the
(much larger) fans in the computer, either. But those fans are more or
less necessary while the video card's isn't.

Not that the likely lifespan of the fan matters that much in reality,
either, given how quickly (as I noted) I've replaced video cards in my
frontend for non hardware-failure reasons. At the end of the day,
though, I'd still like a fanless card if I can get one for a
reasonable price.

--
Frontend/backend:	P4 3.0GHz, 1.5TB software RAID 5 array