[mythtv-users] Mythvideo: how to delete the seek table for a "videos" file?

Michael T. Dean mtdean at thirdcontact.com
Thu Dec 3 21:16:05 UTC 2009

On 12/03/2009 03:56 PM, Ronald Frazier wrote:
> I'm not sure how to delete it (other than manually going into the DB,
> going to the filemarkup table, and deleting all records with a
> matching filename...a process which I am NOT endorsing, just to be
> clear). However, I'd like to mention that certain files (mpeg based,
> as I understand it) cannot have their seektables built with
> mythcomflag. Instead, you need to use mythtranscode:
>
> mythtranscode --mpeg2 --buildindex --allkeys --showprogress --video
> --infile /path/to/file
>
> Try that and see if it works better. Note that, when it's done, it
> will leave behind a 0 byte file with a .tmp extension (or something
> like that).

FWIW, in 0.22 and above, both mythtranscode --buildindex and
mythcommflag --rebuild should work the same on all videos.

The problem with the MKV is (to quote someone much smarter than I):
"seek tables for mkv should generally work. they don't work for h264 in
mkv since we can't parse the bitstream format mkv/mov/mp4 use to store
h264" (meaning that we create an empty seek table for the video, which
is A Bad Thing (TM)).

Mike