[mythtv-users] 'powerline' ethernet experience?

Simon Hobson linux at thehobsons.co.uk
Fri Dec 4 08:18:16 UTC 2009

Nick Rout wrote:
>Anyone got any gems for me? I have difficulty running cat5/6 and
>wireless is giving me grief. Powerline ethernet (the 200Mbps version)
>is looking attractive.
>
>Any experiences, gotchas etc? The system is promoted as being ideal
>for video streaming so I am hoping it will be OK. I realise real life
>won't be 200Mbps, but that shouldn't matter as long as it is within a
>reasonable percentage of that.

Yup, BT is pushing them hard in the UK along with it's Vision (IP TV)
product as it knows people will be reluctant to run network cables to
their TVs. RSGB (Radio Society of Great Britain) investigated and
demonstrated quite clearly that the units sold by BT spread noise
over huge chunks of the spectrum and in spite of their labelling are
therefore not in compliance with European EMC regulations.

OfCom's laggardly response was to suggest that all the problems were
as a result of improper installation - I guess that means "they were
plugged in" :-/

I believe RSGB are considering legal action against OfCom for failing
to perform it's statutory duties.

Mind you, those of us in the UK that follow OfCom's actions are not
surprised - some of us think that OfCon would be a more appropriate
title (Office of Cons) as they often give the appearance of being
puppets for large business.

http://www.rsgb.org/news/plt_statement.php
http://www.rsgb.org/emc/plt.php

--