[mythtv-users] 'powerline' ethernet experience?

Alex McLintock alex at owal.co.uk
Fri Dec 4 09:19:42 UTC 2009

On Fri, Dec 4, 2009 at 1:02 AM, Nick Rout <nick.rout at gmail.com> wrote:

> Any experiences, gotchas etc? The system is promoted as being ideal
> for video streaming so I am hoping it will be OK. I realise real life
> won't be 200Mbps, but that shouldn't matter as long as it is within a
> reasonable percentage of that.

I bought 200Mbps powerline devices was because I wanted to get better
bandwidth between my MythTv frontend upstairs and the MythTv backend
downstairs.

I suspect that the limiting factor will be the quality of your power cables.

I have a fairly big house with thick walls and can't see how to properly lay
down cat5 to go upstairs.

My devices have three levels of connection - good, medium and bad. I only
get "medium"
if I plug the devices straight into the walls (not using any power plank
extensions).
This gets *me* useable bandwidth about double the speed of 54g. Your Mileage
May Vary.

What I would like would be some way of using both wireless AND powerline at
the same time to take advantage of both networking bandwidths. I'm not sure
how to do that using TCP/IP.

Alex