[mythtv-users] VDPAU card power consumption

R. G. Newbury newbury at mandamus.org
Fri Dec 4 16:51:36 UTC 2009

Greg Cope wrote:
> 2009/12/4 Johnny <jarpublic at gmail.com>:
>> Probably the biggest difference will be between a discrete card vs and
>> integrated GPU. If you think you would be happy with some of the less
>> powerful deinterlacers, then maybe you should go with an
>> 8300/9300/9400 integrated on the motherboard. You won't be able to
>> beat that in terms of power consumption with VDPAU, and I doubt the
>> idle power will be significantly different the another integrated
>> non-VDPAU option.
>
> Probably not what you are after but I posted what my Revo uses here;
>
> Basically 36W max using VDPAU on SD content with an ESata disk in an
> external enclosure.
>
> Engaging VDPAU when watching SD Content seems to up the wattage by only 4w.
>
> A Revo uses a 9400M so is at the low end.

A Zotac ION-AU, dual core 330, using an external power brick, 9400M
chipset and one 2.5" hard drive spiked at 35w during boot and ran at 27
basically whatever I played. That without any suspend or screensaver
etc. That included High Def playback.

Could probably get a little better with the video stuff turned down.

Geoff