[mythtv-users] VDPAU card power consumption

Johnny jarpublic at gmail.com
Fri Dec 4 17:43:42 UTC 2009

> The problem is you are talking about a $100+ motherboard vs a $30-$40
> graphics card. That $70 or so buys a decent bit of power consumption.
> And these are dedicated frontend machines, so not on 24x7, though they
> aren't always "in use" when on...I have no idea what the in-use
> percentage would be off the top of my head.

Sorry, I was in the mindset that you were talking about building a new
system, not just converting a frontend to VDPAU. In that case you are
probably best of going with the nvidia 210 or the GT 220. They use a
smaller transistors and nvidia touts them as being superior in terms
of power consumption. The 210 uses 30 W max and I think the 220 is
around 50 W max. They idle at < 7 W.