[mythtv-users] Advice on media players

David L idht4n at gmail.com
Fri Dec 4 19:32:51 UTC 2009

On Thu, Dec 3, 2009 at 7:23 AM, Brian Wood  wrote:
> On Thursday 03 December 2009 08:10:03 am Johnny Walker wrote:
>> > XBox-360s, PS3s and Wiis can be used with the UPnP server in a Myth
>> > backend. Also the D-Link DSM-520, and similar devices.
>>
>> How does one use the Wii as frontend? I'm planning on getting a Wii
>> this Cristmas and that would be greatness.
>
> Not a full frontend, but to simply access Myth's stored media.
>
> I based that comment on the fact that the PlayOn server now has Wii
> support, albeit still in beta.

I've been thinking of getting the kids a Wii anyhow,
so this might be the clincher.  I wonder why support
for Wii would be in beta?  If Wii can be used as a
UPnP client and their server works with Xbox and
Playstation, why would support for a particular
client be in beta?  Is there software that needs to
be loaded onto the Wii for this to work?  Or are there
special modifications to the server that need to be
made to support peculiarities in the Wii UPnP client?
Has anybody out there tried a Wii with MythTV?

Thanks,

             David