[mythtv-users] FCC admits CableCARD a failure, vows to try something else

Brian Wood beww at beww.org
Fri Dec 4 20:53:56 UTC 2009

On Friday 04 December 2009 01:35:14 pm Matt Emmott wrote:
> On Fri, Dec 4, 2009 at 3:28 PM, Johnny <jarpublic at gmail.com> wrote:
> > From the article
> > (
> > http://arstechnica.com/tech-policy/news/2009/12/fcc-admits-cablecard-a-
fa
> >ilure-vows-to-try-something-else.ars ):
> >
> > "The Genachowski-led Federal Communications Commission (FCC)
seems to
> > delight in dropping bombshells on a weekly basis, but we didn't see
> > this one coming: the FCC admits that its CableCARD mandate has been
an
> > abysmal failure. That doesn't mean it's giving up the fight to
> > encourage set-box box innovation; instead, the FCC wants ideas for a
> > new set of rules that will bust open access to video streams from
> > cable and IPTV operators."
>
> I bet I'm not alone when I say I have some ideas for them. :-) - Perhaps
> it's time to contact our legislators?

Suggestion Number One:

Prevent Comcast from buying NBC, I'll bet Hulu doesn't last long if that sale
goes through.

The main reason CableCard failed was the cable operators didn't want it to
work, it was a threat to their STB rental revenue stream.

Perhaps if STB rentals were capped at $1 per year the cable companies
would work for something else?