[mythtv-users] FCC admits CableCARD a failure, vows to try something else

Brian Wood beww at beww.org
Fri Dec 4 21:31:46 UTC 2009

On Friday 04 December 2009 02:03:07 pm Eric Sharkey wrote:
> On Fri, Dec 4, 2009 at 3:53 PM, Brian Wood <beww at beww.org> wrote:
> > Perhaps if STB rentals were capped at $1 per year the cable companies
> > would work for something else?
>
> I'd settle for a way to be able to purchase one from a third party
>  manufacturer.

That's what CableCard was supposed to enable (but you knew that).

I figure that $1/year is less than the cost to the cable operator, thus giving
them some incentive to support "something better".

We all went through this back when cable systems started to go beyond 12
channels, which resulted in the "Cable-Ready" TV sets, which wouldn't work
with scrambled channels, thus annoying people who had paid extra for that
"feature", and resulting in nightmare hookups that used 2 or more A/B
switches and multiple converters.

The systems that used negative traps made everyone happy, but required a
lot of work by the cable operator.