[mythtv-users] 'powerline' ethernet experience?

David Brodbeck gull at gull.us
Fri Dec 4 22:07:46 UTC 2009

On Fri, December 4, 2009 1:19 am, Alex McLintock wrote:
> I have a fairly big house with thick walls and can't see how to properly
> lay down cat5 to go upstairs.

That can be pretty tricky on two (or more) story structures.

When I used to do this sort of thing I would try to figure out where the
plumbing went from one floor to the other.  There are usually gaps around
the pipes where you can sneak cables through.  If not it at least provides
a good reference point so you know where a drilled hole will come through.
 Plumbing chases are usually fairly free of obstructions and are good
areas to fish wire through.

If you have forced air heat I think it's also legal (in the U.S., anyway)
to run network cable through the ductwork, as long as you use plenum-rated
cable.  Be sure to use grommets at the entry and exit points so the metal
edges of the duct don't cut through the insulation.  Be forewarned that
plenum-rated cable is significantly more expensive than the usual stuff.
It has a flame retardant to keep it from conveying a fire from one space
to another.

IANAE (I Am Not An Electrician).