[mythtv-users] FCC admits CableCARD a failure, vows to try something else

Johnny jarpublic at gmail.com
Fri Dec 4 22:08:18 UTC 2009

> already paying for this content. We've had unencrypted outputs this whole
> time and yet we have this huge entertainment industry. I just don't see how
> unencrypted output suddenly means everyone goes out of business. Using that
> logic, the industry shouldn't exist.

I agree that we should be free to access and watch what we pay for the
whatever way we want. But I think it is fair to acknowledge that
things aren't how they always were in the past. In the past sharing
was tied to a physical medium so there was a cost and physical
limitations on the extent to which it could be used. Now any
individual can share a video with anybody they want in the whole world
and do it for free. That is going to make it worse for the media
companies. But I agree that the DRM schemes will be unsuccessful at
preventing this, and will only hinder those who pay for the content.