[mythtv-users] FCC admits CableCARD a failure, vows to try something else

David Brodbeck gull at gull.us
Fri Dec 4 22:10:33 UTC 2009

On Fri, December 4, 2009 1:56 pm, Travis Tabbal wrote:
> We've had unencrypted outputs this whole
> time and yet we have this huge entertainment industry. I just don't see
> how unencrypted output suddenly means everyone goes out of business. Using
> that logic, the industry shouldn't exist.

I think they'd argue it was different in the past, when piracy meant
mailing VHS tapes to people one at a time.  Now one person puts something
on bittorrent and a billion potential customers have free access to it.
I'm not saying DRM is a good idea, I'm just saying there's a reason it
gives them night terrors to think of giving open access to digital
content.