[mythtv-users] FCC admits CableCARD a failure, vows to try something else

David Brodbeck gull at gull.us
Sat Dec 5 03:26:35 UTC 2009

On Dec 4, 2009, at 2:24 PM, Kevin Ross wrote:
> I never bought online music when it had DRM, but I HAVE bought music
> once
> they removed the DRM.  They figured out they could actually make
> MORE money
> by removing DRM.
>
> I wish the movie industry would follow suit.  But I think that's
> just a pipe
> dream.

They might eventually.  I never thought the music industry would catch
on, either.

The movie industry has more at stake, though, in a way.  It's not just
piracy they're trying to avoid -- it's cross-border sales, the same
thing DVD region encoding was trying to prevent.  Movies routinely go
on sale in the U.S. while they're still in theaters in Europe, and
vice versa.  They're afraid of cannibalizing their own sales if people
can freely play back stuff sold in other countries.