[mythtv-users] No VDPAU with 8300GS

Alan Marchiori alan at alanmarian.com
Sat Dec 5 04:53:22 UTC 2009

On Fri, Dec 4, 2009 at 9:15 PM,  <backuppc at sundquist.imapmail.org> wrote:

> On Sun, 29 Nov 2009 11:20:25 -0500, backuppc at sundquist.imapmail.org
> said:
>> I changed my mind about sticking with ubuntu 8.04 LTS (as an LTS release
>> is intended) and installed 9.10 to get the newer mythtv and its VDPAU
>> capabilities (and also to run the latest boxee, but that's another
>> story).
>>
>> I am glad I kept the old 8.04 however because so far I am not too
>> impressed.  I have the pixelation problems reported in
>> http://www.gossamer-threads.com/lists/mythtv/users/410757 adn switching
>> to slim helped get rid of the shimmering lines but still was pixelated
>> compared to 0.21
>>
>> But the real problem is VDPAU doesn't work.  I vet the "Please Wait"
>> screen and then it's hung.  I have to go to a console and restart gdm to
>> get out of it.
>>
>> Here is the frontend log of when this happens:

No real clue here... but I do have an 8200 (igp) working fine with
vdpau.  Have you played with the xorg.conf?  Below is what I am using,
there is a slim chance this might help?.

Section "ServerFlags"
    Option         "Xinerama" "0"
EndSection

Section "Monitor"
    Identifier     "Monitor0"
    VendorName     "Unknown"
    ModelName      "IFS InFocusIN72-H"
    HorizSync       16.0 - 69.0
    VertRefresh     43.0 - 85.0
EndSection

Section "Device"
    Identifier     "Configured Video Device"
    Driver         "nvidia"
    Option         "TVOutFormat" "COMPONENT"
    Option         "NoLogo" "1"
    Option         "UseEvents" "1"
    Option         "ConnectedMonitor" "TV"
    Option         "DPI" "100x100"
    Option         "TVStandard" "HD720p"
EndSection

Section "Device"
    Identifier     "Device0"
    Driver         "nvidia"
    VendorName     "NVIDIA Corporation"
    BoardName      "GeForce 8200"
EndSection

Section "Screen"
    Identifier     "Default Screen"
    Device         "Configured Video Device"
    Monitor        "Configured Monitor"
    DefaultDepth    24
EndSection

Section "Screen"
    Identifier     "Screen0"
    Device         "Device0"
    Monitor        "Monitor0"
    DefaultDepth    24
    Option         "TwinView" "0"
    Option         "metamodes" "1280x720 +0+0"
    SubSection     "Display"
        Depth       24
    EndSubSection
EndSection