[mythtv-users] Somewhat OT: Comcast takeover of NBC Universal

Brian Wood beww at beww.org
Sat Dec 5 14:01:34 UTC 2009

On Saturday 05 December 2009 12:08:11 am Joe Wilson wrote:
>   I really don't want to get political here, but people need to contact the
> white house about these
> things.. Its impact upon the diversity of the media Obama pledge to
uphold,
> is left in question..
> This matter will probably bring up an antitrust, and it will drag out in
>  the court system, and the
> govt will do nothing about it for about a year. My main fear is when the
> whole of our internet,
> or cable provider, and our stations are controlled by one entity. The
> ability to sway peoples decisions
> on who they vote for, what they see as news etc  is being jeopardized
here.
> Examples shows may
> depict scenarios that wind people up emotional on given issues that would
> serve comcast politically.
> putting it bluntly.. Hitler controlled all media in his day.. now we got
> commie cast.. There is over 24
> stations comcast will be taking over.. those concerned I would contact
>  Obama and tell him you want
> him to uphold his plead to diversity in the media.. because where things
>  are standing now, he isnt
> doing his job.

It seems Godwin's Law is working still.

But I have to agree with you, this sort of monopoly threatens all of us, not
just Myth users.

Perhaps we could send all of the Comcast executives to Afghanistan, to  be
in charge of the Taliban's Media affairs. Since they seem able to screw up
anything they touch, this should solve the problems over there quickly.