[mythtv-users] Somewhat OT: Comcast takeover of NBC Universal

Devin Heitmueller dheitmueller at kernellabs.com
Sat Dec 5 14:54:11 UTC 2009

> Agree 100%.  In the end, I think it will be approved.  Comcast has the bucks
> to do the lobbying needed.

For me, there are two very scary possibilities that can come out of this:

1.  Comcast can start denying access to its channels in competing
markets, just like Time Warner does in New York City - Time Warner is
currently broadcasting commercials that say "With Time Warner, you get
access to all nine major New York sports teams in HD.  You can't get
that with FIOS!".  The reason they can do that is because Time Warner
owns the rights and won't make them available to competitors.

2.  Comcast can make NBC a cable-only channel - eliminating the OTA
version entirely.  Again, this reduces the chances of switching to OTA
or could force people on OTA to get cable if they want to continue
getting NBC programming.

Devin

--
Devin J. Heitmueller - Kernel Labs