[mythtv-users] FCC admits CableCARD a failure, vows to try something else

Brian Wood beww at beww.org
Sat Dec 5 17:29:30 UTC 2009

On Saturday 05 December 2009 10:16:23 am Simon Hobson wrote:
> Francesco Peeters wrote:
> >  > The movie industry has more at stake, though, in a way.  It's not just
> >>
> >>  piracy they're trying to avoid -- it's cross-border sales, the same
> >>  thing DVD region encoding was trying to prevent.  Movies routinely go
> >>  on sale in the U.S. while they're still in theaters in Europe, and
> >>  vice versa.  They're afraid of cannibalizing their own sales if people
> >>
> >  > can freely play back stuff sold in other countries.
> >
> >Well, they *could* try releasing the movie at the same time in the
> >European theaters as well...  ;-)
>
> And that brings us back to money again - why do you think there is so
> much pressure for cinemas to go digital ? Cinemas get the costs (a
> digital projector for that size of screen doesn't come cheap), and
> the film distributors get the savings - if cinemas go digital, then
> the distributors can print less copies and also save on the physical
> shipping costs.
>
> The main reason they stagger cinema releases is that it allows them
> significant savings on film costs. Every cinema that shows a film in
> traditional "big roll of pictures on a strip" form has to have a
> print of the film - and it can't be shared with any other cinema
> wanting to show the film at the same time. By releasing in the US,
> and then in Europe a few months later, it allows them to ship the
> prints around the US, and then ship the same prints over to Europe -
> instead of printing twice as many copies.

Good point. It also limits the number of prints that have to be secured.

But digital copies of films are far more subject to piracy than film prints.
It's a LOT of trouble to digitize a 35 or 70mm print, requiring a high-cost
telecine machine and a lot of time. Digital copies can be pirated in seconds
for almost no cost.

The equipment to even show (project) a 35 or 70 mm file is extremely
expensive, I'm surprised it isn't close to the cost of a digital projector.

Regionalizing DVDs was done for the benefit of the studios, not the
consumer. Only New Zealand saw the problems and banned regionalized
players (do they still do that?).