[mythtv-users] Using the mythconverg_backup.pl script (slightly OT)

Harry Devine lifter89 at comcast.net
Sat Dec 5 18:00:31 UTC 2009

Nick Rout wrote:
> On Thu, Dec 3, 2009 at 4:35 PM, Harry Devine <lifter89 at comcast.net> wrote:
>
>> I've been using the mythconverg_backup.pl script in a cron job for a few
>> weeks now.  I have it on a 7 day rotation.  I have another PC in the house
>> that is running plain-jane Ubuntu 9.10 and I want to archive my database
>> backups to that PC.  I have the authorized_keys mechanism working properly
>> between the 2 PCs, but I'm a little unsure of how to get only the latest
>> file over there.
>>
>> What I'd really like to have is the same 7 files on both machines.  But how
>> do I do this?  Do I issue some sort of remote shell command to delete the
>> files on the backup PC then copy over the Myth backup files?  Perhaps create
>> a cron job on the backup PC to cleanup the directory at a time BEFORE the
>> new backups come over?
>>
>> I'm sure I'm over thinking this a little, but I'm open to suggestions.
>>

> rsync --delete -az /home/of/backups/* othermachine:/place/for/them/there/
>
> --delete will delete from the destination directory anything that is
> not in the source directory so you don't get a big build up in there.
>
> My suggestion assumes that there are no extraneous files in /home/of/backups/

I now have my myth box running the cron job successfully, but the rsync
doesn't seem to be working right.  Its copying the new files to my other
machine, but its not deleting the old ones.  So, on my myth box, I have
the last 7 days, but my other machine currently has the last 11.  Here's
what my backup script in /etc/cron.daily looks like:

#!/bin/sh

su - hdevine -c "/usr/bin/mythconverg_backup.pl --rotate 7"
su - hdevine -c "rsync --delete -az /home/hdevine/db_backups/*
192.168.1.103:/archive/mythdb_backups/"

Does anyone have any idea why the rsync wouldn't delete the old files?
What I'd like to have is the same 7 files that are backed up on my Myth
box exist on my desktop.

Thanks,
Harry