[mythtv-users] FCC admits CableCARD a failure, vows to try something else

John Drescher drescherjm at gmail.com
Sat Dec 5 21:50:12 UTC 2009

On Sat, Dec 5, 2009 at 3:52 PM, Devin Heitmueller
<dheitmueller at kernellabs.com> wrote:
>> "Agency engineers showed the following chart, pointing out that only
>> 14 non-leased set-top boxes were on the market in the US."
>>
>> Does anybody have any idea what mythical (no pun intended) retail STB
>> boxes they are talking about here?  I'm only aware of the TivoHD.
>
> They probably meant "14 non-leased Cablecard capable products".  This
> probably boils down to the two Tivo products, the Moxi product, and a
> dozen really expensive-high-end-televisions ($3000+).

I use a CableCard in my Sony HD CRT tv. It was like $1250 when we
bought it 4 years ago. Comcast had no clue at all how to install the
cable card and it ended up needing 2 trips from technicians and the
first cable card we obtained did not work.

John