[mythtv-users] FCC admits CableCARD a failure, vows to try something else

David Brodbeck gull at gull.us
Sat Dec 5 22:51:32 UTC 2009

On Dec 5, 2009, at 9:29 AM, Brian Wood wrote:
> The equipment to even show (project) a 35 or 70 mm file is extremely
> expensive, I'm surprised it isn't close to the cost of a digital
> projector.

Theaters, especially smaller ones, don't necessarily buy new film
projectors.  They sometimes re-use an old one from some theater that's
closing.  I've seen at least one 40-year-old (at the time) projector
operating in a second-run theater; it had originally come from a
defunct drive-in.  The projectionist said in some ways it was more
durable and better constructed than modern ones.

They often get refitted over the years for different sound systems,
different light sources (e.g., ditching carbon arc lamps in favor of
xenon HIDs), and different feed systems (turntable instead of reel to
reel).  The lens is also unique to each theater, custom assembled for
the needed throw distance.