[mythtv-users] mythtv 0.22 backend on Ubuntu Hardy Heron

Allen Edwards allen.p.edwards at gmail.com
Sun Dec 6 15:43:04 UTC 2009

On Sat, Dec 5, 2009 at 7:00 PM, Matthew Asplund <mattasplund at gmail.com>wrote:

> On Sat, Dec 5, 2009 at 9:55 AM, Allen Edwards <allen.p.edwards at gmail.com>wrote:
>
>> I currently enjoy a pretty high WAF (the system has run well for 18
>>> months).
>>

>> Why on earth would you want to change anything?  Got an extra 40 hours
>> open in your calendar you don't know what to do with?
>>
>> My advice (and don't listen to me I don't know anything) is to buy new
>> hard drives or better yet a new computer and do the upgrade there.   Early
>> on in my Myth career some wise person told me to treat Myth as an appliance.
>>  You buy it and it works.  If it quits working, fix it.  If it ain't broke,
>> don't fix it.
>>
>> After thinking about it, buy a new backend.  Hardware is cheap compared to
>> what it will cost you if you screw up the WAF.
>>
>> Allen

>> So true.  Unfortunately, spending money also feeds into the WAF.  I have a
> spare 1.5 TB drive, and 2x750 in the current system.  Over christmas, I will
> probably back up everything onto the 1.5 TB, and try a fresh Karmic install,
> and then if it works, leave it alone.  I realize that I shouldn't get
> seduced into running the newest and greatest front end stuff, but it is so
> shiny and pretty.

Please let us know how it turns out.  I love both eating words and saying I
told you so.  I think doing the fresh install is definitely the way to go.
 The beauty of having a new machine is you could watch the old shows on the
old one as the new one is recording new shows.  If I were doing it, I would
dual tape all the shows until all the old shows had been watched, then
switch over.  On the other hand, maybe there is a way to move the shows and
database over.  Updating a working myth does not sound like the way to go.

Allen

Allen