[mythtv-users] Can't load latest Nvidia driver under fresh install FC12

Richard Shaw hobbes1069 at gmail.com
Sun Dec 6 16:36:04 UTC 2009

On Sat, Dec 5, 2009 at 11:24 PM, Claude Gélinas <claude at phyto.qc.ca> wrote:
> Le samedi 05 décembre 2009 22:22:03, Greg Woods a écrit :
>> On Sat, 2009-12-05 at 21:36 -0500, Claude Gélinas wrote:
>> > Hi,
>> >
>> > on a fresh install of FC12 I've downloaded the latest nvidia driver
>> > 190.42 and try to install it with the .run file
>> >
>> > I always end up with ERROR: Unable to load the kernel module 'nvidia.ko'.
>>
>> This is a royal pain.
>>
>> The problem is that the nouveau driver is loaded already, so it has
>> already claimed the graphics device. Attempt to unload the nouveau
>> module and it fails because the module is busy. Catch-22.
>>
>> What worked for me was to boot without X (runlevel 3) and with the
>> "nomodeset" kernel boot parameter. Even then the damn nouveau module
>> still loads, but at least then it can be unloaded (with "modprobe -r
>> nouveau"), at which point the Nvidia driver can be installed. After that
>> I usually leave the nomodeset parameter in grub.conf permanently. This
>> disables automatic EDID probing of your monitor/TV, which is not needed
>> if you are using an xorg.conf file generated by the Nvidia driver
>> install.
>
> Thanks it work

Although nomodeset will work it's probably a better (cleaner) solution
to blacklist the driver in the initial ram disk by appending
rdblacklist=nouveau to the kernel parameters. Also if you installed
from a repo like rpmfusion, it would add a blacklist in
/etc/modprobe.d/ automatically, although you still have to stop the
driver from loading in the current kernel using the above method. I
believe once a new kernel is installed the initrd will be built
without nouveau with the modprobe blacklist in place.

Richard