[mythtv-users] Limit log file size?

Mark Knecht markknecht at gmail.com
Sun Dec 6 17:45:13 UTC 2009

On Sun, Dec 6, 2009 at 9:30 AM, Nick Morrott <knowledgejunkie at gmail.com> wrote:
<SNIP>

>> OK, I see that either the Myth or Gentoo folks provided a logrotate
>> file but it's not set up to rotate automatically so I'll have to learn
>> how to do that. I suppose that's done with cron - another Linux app I
>> know nothing much about?
>
> Check your /etc/cron.*/ directories - you may find logrotate is
> already configured.

Turns out I hadn't ever emerge'd logrotate so I've corrected that and
it's on the system now.

By default I seem to get a cron.daily logrotate job, or at least
there's a file in that directory since the emerge, but the default
setup for logrotate.conf seems to be weekly, not daily. Probably
that's OK for me, at least until I see how it's working, but it seems
strange that the logrotate.conf file says weekly but the job is
cron.daily.

This looks pretty close to working. Just a couple of hurdles to get
past. Probably it will just start working tonight when the cron job
runs.

Thanks,
Mark