[mythtv-users] Limit log file size?

Brian Wood beww at beww.org
Sun Dec 6 18:04:12 UTC 2009

<knowledgejunkie at gmail.com>
>  wrote: <SNIP>
>
> >> OK, I see that either the Myth or Gentoo folks provided a logrotate
> >> file but it's not set up to rotate automatically so I'll have to learn
> >> how to do that. I suppose that's done with cron - another Linux app I
> >> know nothing much about?
> >
> > Check your /etc/cron.*/ directories - you may find logrotate is
> > already configured.
>
> Turns out I hadn't ever emerge'd logrotate so I've corrected that and
> it's on the system now.
>
> By default I seem to get a cron.daily logrotate job, or at least
> there's a file in that directory since the emerge, but the default
> setup for logrotate.conf seems to be weekly, not daily. Probably
> that's OK for me, at least until I see how it's working, but it seems
> strange that the logrotate.conf file says weekly but the job is
> cron.daily.
>
> This looks pretty close to working. Just a couple of hurdles to get
> past. Probably it will just start working tonight when the cron job
> runs.

Most distros (including Gentoo) are set up so that installing logrotate
results in a configured installation that at least keeps your logs from running
amok and filling up drives. You may want to tweak things for your particular
situation, but at least you should have a working setup that's better than
nothing.