[mythtv-users] 'powerline' ethernet experience?

Mark Garland mythtvusers at markgarland.co.uk
Sun Dec 6 21:06:16 UTC 2009

Having really tried with wireless-G, I gave up and ended up putting in the
cables.  In fact, my wireless was so slow that it took about twice as long
to copy the SD media to another machine that it did to watch it...

I did look at those power adapters, and was very tempted.  However, reviews
were varied.

In the end, I considered that I could spend some 150 on these powerline
adapters and get (at best) 200mbps, or I could put in cat5/6 for around the
same cost and get (at best) 1000mbps.
Though the job was tough (we had floorboards up in 5 rooms at one point) and
some runs went over two floors, it was well worth it.  Iperf says I'm
getting 942mbps over the longest (across the house and downstairs) run of
cat5e cable, which easily supports HD streaming and outperforms any HDD I
have in the house.

MG