[mythtv-users] VDPAU + AGP?

Tortise tortise at paradise.net.nz
Sun Dec 6 21:41:51 UTC 2009

From: "Mark Garland" <mythtvusers at markgarland.co.uk>
To: "'Discussion about mythtv'" <mythtv-users at mythtv.org>
Sent: Monday, December 07, 2009 9:52 AM
Subject: Re: [mythtv-users] VDPAU + AGP?

> pity too, since with VDPAU, older CPU's could handle the load fine...

I was only thinking that earlier as I was looking at and old system I have
in the cupboard.  She's a P3-1GHz, and I suspect that with undervolting and
maybe underclocking, she'd make an excellent VDPAU capable front-end, but
wouldn't have the grunt to be able to software decode things.

Seems a shame to have to throw her out and buy new.

This may work fine with a PCI vdpau card.

There are reports of less powerful CPU's doing the business.

Check out the motherboard AGP (!) chipset compatibility first though on the nvidia vdpau website readme.  Let us know how you get on
if you proceed.