[mythtv-users] Where did my network go?

Harry Devine lifter89 at comcast.net
Sun Dec 6 22:19:58 UTC 2009

Harry Devine wrote:
> I'm running Mythbuntu 9.10 x86_64.  I just put some updates on via
> Update Manager this morning, and now when the box comes up, I keep
> getting "Cannot connect to database" errors.  After looking around, it
> appears like my network card is only configured for IPv6.  The IPv4
> info that used to be there is totally gone.  How do I go about getting
> it back?
>
> When I try to look into the Network settings, the menu option for it
> under Applications->System isn't there.  Also, the network icon that
> is usually displayed on the upper right corner near the clock isn't
> there.  Its as if the OS has no support for IPv4 any longer.
>
> Any ideas?
> Harry

OK, I got it working, but I'm not sure how or why it got broken.  I
noticed that the /etc/network/interfaces file contained the following:

auto lo
iface lo inet loopback

Nothing concerning my eth0 interface, so I added the following,
restarted the network, and all is well:

auto eth0
iface eth0 inet static
        address 192.168.xxx.xxx
        network 192.168.xxx.xxx
        netmask 255.255.255.0
        broadcast 192.168.xxx.xxx
        gateway 192.168.xxx.xxx

Oddly enough, since I've done this, I've noticed that menu response and
Mythweb response is MUCH improved.  Before this, moving from 1 screen to
another in the frontend would take 15-20 seconds, and in Mythweb, moving
from 1 page to another would be 10-15 seconds.  Even hovering over a
show title to get the description would take 15 seconds or so.

I'll keep an eye on it, but I thought this info might prove helpful for
someone else.

Harry