[mythtv-users] mplayer doesn't work when started by mythfrontend

Andrew Junev a-j at a-j.ru
Mon Dec 7 04:05:33 UTC 2009

> On Sun, Dec 6, 2009 at 12:46 PM, Nick Rout <nick.rout at gmail.com> wrote:
>> On Sun, Dec 6, 2009 at 11:29 PM, Andrew Junev <a-j at a-j.ru> wrote:
>>> Hello All,
>>>
>>> I have a strange issue with "Watch Videos" on my frontend-only
>>> machine. mplayer starts, but video is like "paused" and I can't switch
>>> it to "play" mode. I can seek forward/backward, but instead of playing
>>> the video back, I only get a still image.
>>> I tried it with -vo xv and -vo vdpau, without any difference.
>>>
>>> If I quit mythfrontend and execute exactly the same player run string
>>> from a terminal window:
>>>
>>> mplayer -fs -zoom -quiet <filename>
>>>
>>> the file is played back just fine!!!
>>>

>>> I checked the log, and couldn't see any difference between running
>>> mplayer from a command line and running mplayer from within
>>> mythfrontend:
>>>
>>> MPlayer SVN-r29800-4.4.2 (C) 2000-2009 MPlayer Team
>>>
>>> Playing /video.archive/back.to.the.future.1.avi.
>>> Cache fill: 19.97% (3350528 bytes)
>>> AVI file format detected.
>>> [aviheader] Video stream found, -vid 0
>>> [aviheader] Audio stream found, -aid 1
>>> VIDEO:  [XVID]  608x336  12bpp  23.976 fps  1600.3 kbps (195.3 kbyte/s)
>>> Clip info:
>>>  Software: VirtualDubMod 1.5.4.1 (build 2178/release)
>>> ==========================================================================
>>> Forced video codec: ffh264vdpau
>>> Forced video codec: ffmpeg12vdpau
>>> Forced video codec: ffvc1vdpau
>>> Forced video codec: ffwmv3vdpau
>>> Opening video decoder: [ffmpeg] FFmpeg's libavcodec codec family
>>> Selected video codec: [ffodivx] vfm: ffmpeg (FFmpeg MPEG-4)
>>> ==========================================================================
>>> ==========================================================================
>>> Opening audio decoder: [mp3lib] MPEG layer-2, layer-3
>>> AUDIO: 48000 Hz, 2 ch, s16le, 192.0 kbit/12.50% (ratio: 24000->192000)
>>> Selected audio codec: [mp3] afm: mp3lib (mp3lib MPEG layer-2, layer-3)
>>> ==========================================================================
>>> AO: [pulse] 48000Hz 2ch s16le (2 bytes per sample)
>>> Starting playback...
>>> Movie-Aspect is 1.81:1 - prescaling to correct movie aspect.
>>> VO: [vdpau] 608x336 => 608x336 Planar YV12  [fs] [zoom]
>>>
>>> Exiting... (Quit)
>>>
>>> (this is taken from the mythfrontend log). No errors, nothing that can
>>> indicate an issue. But instead of a smooth playback I only get a still
>>> image (that changes if I press FF / RR buttons on my remote).
>>>
>>> Is there anyone else here who had such an issue?
>>>
>>> Any ideas on how to make mplayer work from mythfrontend?
>>>
>>> Thanks in advance!
>>>

>>> P.S. I have and NVidia 8600GT-based video adapter. My mplayer is
>>> configured to use vdpau by default:
>>> $ cat /home/mythtv/.mplayer/config
>>> vo=vdpau,xv,
>>> vc=ffh264vdpau,ffmpeg12vdpau,ffvc1vdpau,ffwmv3vdpau,
>>> cache=16384
>>> $
>>
>> I recently found a file that wouldn't play if the -vc switch was
>> included, but would if it was left out. ie
>>
>> mplayer -vo vdpau file.mkv would work
>>
>> mplayer -vo vdpau -vc ffh264vdpau file.mkv wouldn't
>>
>> Mind you it was a weird file that xbmc would play as random coloured stripes!

> You should always put a comma at the end of "vc" line: -vc foo,bar,baz,
> This allows mplayer to select whatever codec it would have selected
> without -vc if it does not like any of the specified codecs. For
> example, for vdpau I have:
> -vc=ffh264vdpau,ffmpeg12vdpau,ffwmv3vdpau,ffvc1vdpau,

Yep, the comma is there for me. And mplayer log is exactly the same,
no matter if it's sarted from mythfrontend or from a terminal window.
But if it's started from a terminal window, I can watch a movie, and
if it's started from mythfrontend - I can only watch a slide show by
pressing FastForward continuously...

Is there any way to trace what the problem is? Running mythfrontend
with '-v playback' doesn't provide any additional information in this
case...

--
Best regards,
 Andrew