[mythtv-users] vnc on headless backend

Steve Hodge stevehodge at gmail.com
Mon Dec 7 05:52:51 UTC 2009

On Mon, Dec 7, 2009 at 2:13 PM, Brian Wood <beww at beww.org> wrote:

> On Sunday 06 December 2009 04:46:26 pm Steve Hodge wrote:
> > On Mon, Dec 7, 2009 at 10:00 AM, Brian Wood <beww at beww.org> wrote:
> > > But ssh with X forwarding is the way to go IMHO. I can't think of
> > > anything you would do with VNC that couldn't be done with ssh.
> >
> > Persistent sessions?
>
> Yeah, but I wonder if you could cobble up something with screen and ssh to
> have a similar functionality.

Probably. But  I use one VNC setup for remote control of the Myth session
and a second to provide a persistent remote desktop. I'm sure there are
other ways to get all this working but VNC is relatively easy, I can use it
for both cases, and I have clients for Windows, Linux and my iPhone (and
another plus is that I can use the same clients to control Windows
machines). VNC has security issues so I don't use for external access, but
it works pretty well locally.

Cheers,
Steve