[mythtv-users] Upgraded Mythbox from Fedora10 to Fedora12 remote control works partially

Paul Bender pebender at san.rr.com
Mon Dec 7 13:34:22 UTC 2009

O&M Ugarcina wrote:
> Hello Guys,
>
> I have just upgraded my Mythbox (myth .22) based on a Zalman Hd-160 case
> , asus p5b motherboard , from fedora 10 to fedora 12 . The remote
> control is now partially working , that is to say full control over Myth
> , but no control over external applications such as Mplayer Xine or VLC
> . All those applications were controllable under fedora 10 . Now, my box
> does not use lirc per say , it uses irserver software from irtrans to
> run the lcd as well as the ir remote . As far as I understand it is very
> similar to lirc . My config files for myth are in ~/.mythtv/lircrc (only
> myth related keys) and all is ok there , the config for external  apps
> is in ~/.lircrc (with mplayer,xine and vlc keys) . And as I said all
> worked perfectly in fedora 10 which by the way had lirc-0.8.4 software
> installed . Lirc is only still in the pc to satisfy some mythtv
> dependencies - sitting there dormant. Or this is what I thought .
> Because when I did an experiment and removed fedora 12 lirc 0.8.6
> version and installed in its place fedora 10 lirc 0.8.4 , my remote
> control was able to control myth as well as all the external apps . I
> would have liked to have left it that way however f10 lirc had some
> other strange side-effects that forced me to put back the f12 lirc . At
> which point xine mplayer and vlc stopped being controllable again .
>
> So my question is has something changed in lirc from 0.8.4 to 0.8.6 that
> perhaps requires a change in the config to re-enable control . By the
> way all my lirc config is at default , I have not touched a thing . Or
> is there a software fault in lirc . Or do I really need it in the first
> place since I thought that irserver was doing all the work . Any
> information in getting the remote working fully would be greatly
> appreciated - getting too much exercise in walking to the keyboard from
> the couch to control other apps .

The location of the lircd socket has changed from /dev/lircd to
/var/run/lirc/lircd. Therefore, the liblirc_client library used by most
applications will look for /var/run/lirc/lircd. However, irserver
creates /dev/lircd. Therefore, applications using liblirc_client won't
find the lircd socket.

Because MythTV allows you to configure the location of the lircd socket,
MythTV works.

If you are compiling irserver yourself, then you should patch it so that
the LIRCD #define is /var/run/lirc/lircd rather than /dev/lircd. If you
you are using a binary package, then you should ask the package
maintainer to fix it.

Once you change irserver, you will need to change the MythTV lircd
socket location setting so that it points to the new location.