[mythtv-users] HD-PVR: Encoding Errors Running 0.22

Derek & Cindi Cass cass at casscoenterprises.com
Mon Dec 7 14:06:39 UTC 2009

>> I don't think this issue is motion based.  I have only once seen this
>> issue crop up during an NFL game, and I also record NHL games without
>> issues.  I record them in HD (720p) and I have great playback using
>> the VDPAU High Quality settings.  No tearing, no skipping.  I don't
>> record anything at 1080i because I like to have mythcommflag be able
>> to keep up with the broadcast.
>
>Derek,
>
>In my case, it is definitely  on the backend recording side, not playback.
>I edit the video near the jump and go through it frame-by-frame.
>The missing video frames are NOT there.
>
>I am using the VDPAU for playback.
>
>I've locked my cable box in at 720P because the HD-PVR box did not seem to
adjust for the correct resolution.

Mike, sorry to be confusing in my reply.  The issue is definitely on the
backend side as you stated.  I also see frames missing or corrupt on the
recordings where this happens, it's just that I don't think they are based
on video that has a lot of motion.  Clifford the Big Red Dog is obviously
the world's Most Amazing Dog, but fast motion video this show is not.

I believe that the hdpvr enters a problem state with the usb connection that
can only be resolved with a power cycle of the hdpvr.  I say that because I
have seen on more than one occasion Fedora startup problems with the usb
connection to the hdpvr that are present after my mythbox shuts down due to
this issue while recording.  In fact, it happened again this morning while
recording that stupid dog Clifford.  This time Fedora started up without any
usb issues.

Personally I blame Clifford, but that's just me.  Or maybe Blue from Blue's
Clues (this happens there, too).  Maybe it's dog related?

Derek