[mythtv-users] mplayer doesn't work when started by mythfrontend

Derek & Cindi Cass cass at casscoenterprises.com
Mon Dec 7 14:20:35 UTC 2009

Andrew, can you open another terminal window and run top?  My guess is that
you are maxing out the cpu when running mplayer.  I see that you are forcing
vdpau codecs; it appears to me that your playback is falling back to ffmpeg
with ffodivx which would indicate software decoding.  In my experience,
mplayer will play mostly fine with software decoding in its' own window, but
mythtv using mplayer will show a blank screen if you use software decoders
that use too much cpu.  I think that there isn't enough cpu left for X/Myth
to function.

According to Wikipedia
(http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/PureVideo_HD#PureVideo_HD) only the Nvidia 2xx
series of video cards will decode divx/xvid, and I don't know that mplayer
has a vdpauffdivx codec for use at this point (although I could easily be
wrong).

Derek