[mythtv-users] 'powerline' ethernet experience?

Jim Stichnoth stichnot at gmail.com
Mon Dec 7 22:42:39 UTC 2009

On Mon, Dec 7, 2009 at 2:32 PM, Nick Rout <nick.rout at gmail.com> wrote:
> On Sat, Dec 5, 2009 at 11:40 AM, Jim Stichnoth <stichnot at gmail.com> wrote:
>> Those three cables require outdoor-rated
>> cable, which is even more expensive than plenum-rated.
>
> So what is special about outdoor rated cable? What do I look for?

I'm not certain, but my guess is that the outer jacket/insulation for
outdoor rated cable is thicker and has better UV protection.
Wikipedia (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Category_5_cable#Environmental_ratings)
says something about UV protection.  Without knowing the real answer,
I treated it as extra "insurance" against having to rerun the cable in
the future...

Jim