[mythtv-users] 'powerline' ethernet experience?

Brian Wood beww at beww.org
Mon Dec 7 22:56:20 UTC 2009

On Monday 07 December 2009 03:32:00 pm Nick Rout wrote:
> On Sat, Dec 5, 2009 at 11:40 AM, Jim Stichnoth <stichnot at gmail.com> wrote:
> > Those three cables require outdoor-rated
> > cable, which is even more expensive than plenum-rated.
>
> So what is special about outdoor rated cable? What do I look for?

Usually called "UF" (Underground Fixture) cable, it has a robust outer
covering and contains "flooding compound" inside.

Flooding compound is a vaseline-like substance that resists moisture, and is a
bugger to get off your hands. Ask any Bell splicer.

I'd guess the cost is more form the extra manufacturing steps to get the
compound in it, rather than the cost of materials, like with plenum cables
(teflon is costly).