[mythtv-users] slave backend attached via wireless 802.11g

Glen Dragon gdragon at jetcom.org
Tue Dec 8 05:29:42 UTC 2009

For logistical reasons (and because I never know when to stop playing) I
have moved and setup a slave backend attached to a hd-pvr, but the trick is
that it is attached to the network only via 802.11g wireless.

For the most part this works pretty well; actually better than I expected.
Not all that surprisingly, the general operation of the slave backend works
well.. the database accesses, recording commands, etc
Streaming from that slave to other frontends is not completely terrible.. it
works without loss sometimes, but other times it drops packets (likely due
to other 2.4 Ghz interference)

Currently I have it recording to a local (300 GB) hdd.  I have no intention
of storing the recordings there long term.. I would copy them to the master
BE, w/ 6 TB of storage.
My current thought is to have a post-recording job that will:
- copy [rsync?] the completed recordings to the MBE
- update the database to transfer ownership to the MBE.
- upon successful transfer delete the recording from the slave's hdd
- commflag ???  on which machine?

I'm currently doing commflagging on the slave, but it's not fast enough to
do it real-time. I'm not sure if it's better to let the MBE do the
commflagging after the file copy is done.

Is it possible to specify that a User job would not run until the
commflagging is complete?  If I wait until the copy to the MBE is complete,
how do i create a new job on the MBE to comm flag that recording?

I considered mounting the MBE storage via NFS to the slave, but I'm not sure
that the reliability and performance of the netmount would not get in the
way of the recordings.  I prefer that the recordings complete successfully,
and then transfer them non-realtime.

I'm wondering is anyone has tried this, or has any best practices..

Thanks