[mythtv-users] Mythtv FE in a frequent power loss environment

Ronald Frazier ron at ronfrazier.net
Tue Dec 8 13:35:36 UTC 2009

> So is it ideal to go for a diskless frontend (nfs mounted backend)?
> What happens when FE is alive and a power failure occurs, will it
> corrupt the backend filesystem.

My diskless frontend has lost power several times and never suffered
any ill effects from it. It would be impossible for it to corrupt the
filesystem, as the integrity of that would be the responsibility of
the nfs server machine. It's possible that if it lost power in the
middle of modifying a file, that file could be in a corrupt state.
However, with a dedicated frontend, that's generally not an issue.
Mostly all it will be touching are log files (no big deal if they get
"corrupted"). It generally shouldn't be modifying any config file
(unless you've got some sort of auto-update running).

One issue that existed under 0.21 was if the frontend lost power while
in LiveTV, the tuner would forever be stuck in livetv mode, and
recordings would be missed. The only fix was to restart mythbackend.
I'm unclear whether or not this issue has been fixed in 0.22 or not.
The ticket (http://svn.mythtv.org/trac/ticket/2960) was closed because
nobody reported having a problem. However, I didn't see anybody report
testing that it was successfully fixed, and I didn't see any related
patches that would have fixed it.  It's possible some other fix took
care of it inadvertantly, or it's possible its still there and nobody
noticed stuartm's request for reproduction.

This is the only potential problem I'm aware of.

--
Ron