[mythtv-users] vdpau video card thoughts (512mb pci-e 9500gt?)

James Crow james at ultratans.com
Tue Dec 8 14:29:58 UTC 2009

Alan Marchiori wrote:
> After the last thread on the GT 220 cards, I was tempted to update but
> I couldn't find a GT 220 that had everything I wanted.
>
> The best I can find at the moment is a ZOTAC ZT-95TEH3P-HSL GeForce
> 9500 GT 512MB 128-bit GDDR2 PCI Express x16
> http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814500072
> for $49.99
>
> According to the wiki the 9500gt almost does advanced 2x, but the "
> (occasional stutter, skip_chroma helps)" isn't very encouraging.  But
> temporal 2x does work.
>
> I like this card because it is
> 1) fanless (not a requirement but a plus)
> 2) has dvi, hdmi, & component outputs
> 3) has the spdif internal connector
>
> Should I wait for a GT 220 to have all these features, or go with the 9500?
>
> Also, since the memory requirements are now >=512mb, should I go for a
> 1 GB card to support future improvements?  Or is 512mb all the video
> ram I'll ever need?

I have two 9500GT cards in my frontends. AFAIR one is 512MB and one is
1GB. Prior to using them I had 8400GS cards in each machine. With the
8400GS I had my deinterlacer set based on resolution. With the 9500
cards I just set it to Advanced 2x for any resolution greater than 0x0.
I have not seen any stutter or other problems. With the bitrate on SD
captures turned up the VDPAU Advanced 2x deinterlacer rivals the one in
my LG panel and is better than the one in my RCA panel. My HD recordings
are all MPEG2 from ClearQAM cable. My FE machines are Mythbuntu 9.04
with JYA's 0.22. I am currently moving and have both machines boxed up,
but I do not recall setting skip_chroma on either machine.

Cheers,
James