[mythtv-users] transcoding stuck at 99%

David L idht4n at gmail.com
Wed Dec 9 16:05:31 UTC 2009

I have a transcoding job that seems stuck at 99% complete.
I was trying to play with removing commercials, but I
couldn't get that working.  The naive newbie in me
expected there to be a pre-canned transcoder profile
"remove cut list" that leaves the format the same but
cuts out things on the cut list.  But the off the shelf
profiles had like 5 choices (auto mpeg, auto rtjpeg,
high quality, medium quality, low quality).

In this document:
http://www.mythtv.org/wiki/Removing_Commercials

I read this warning:

"When transcoding fails with in /var/log/mythtv/mythbackendlog
messages like "No video information found! Transcode Errored:
Program: Autodetect (exit status 255, job status was Errored",
you should try to change the Default Transcoding (in Utilities/Setup ->
Setup -> TV Settings -> General) from AutoDetect to for example "High
Quality". "

I saw that error when trying to transcode, so I changed to
high quality.  I was able to transcode then, but it increase the
size of a file from 2.5G to 5G and didn't remove commercials.
So I manually started another transcoding from mythweb
and that one never completed.

So, my questions are:

1) What do I do about this hung transcoding session?

2) How do I remove the cut list while leaving everything
else the same?  Why isn't something like this a default
option in the playback menu (eg, a "cut cut list" menu
option that shows up when there is a cut list).

3) Is there a way to configure transcoding to retain the
original file if the result of the transcoding is bigger?
For most purposes, transcoding to double the size
seems pointless unless your converting the format
to transfer it to another media (CD/DVD/portable
video player, etc).

Thanks in advance,

            David

PS - Here's what mythweb says about the hung job):
Flag Commercials (Running: Tue Dec 8, 2009, 10:51 PM)
99% Completed @ 54.275 fps.