[mythtv-users] The Boxee Box

Nick F nikos.f at gmail.com
Wed Dec 9 17:17:58 UTC 2009

On Wed, Dec 9, 2009 at 11:03 AM, Brian Wood <beww at beww.org> wrote:
> On Wednesday 09 December 2009 09:57:30 am Johnny Walker wrote:
>> Another good example is Sony Digital Software - or formerly Sonic
>> Foundry Software - I used to use these products Sound Forge, Acid Pro
>> and Vegas Video - They weren't cheap - like hundreds of dollars each.
>> They would routinely de-register themselves and start encoding
>> watermarks and audio watermarks into rendered files until I could get
>> tech support on the line to correct the license issues.
>>
>> Finally even though I had valid licenses I downloaded crack programs
>> to remove the license checking software so I could use my otherwise
>> legally purchased software.
>>
>> What a pain.
>
> Just confirms what we all know, DRM just annoys legitimate customers, and
> does nothing to stop piracy.
>
> One place I used to work instituted a policy of never buying any software
> "protected" by a dongle of any sort. We were finally able to get a copy of
> Autocad that didn't require a dongle, after we told them we would NOT
> purchase anything that did.
>
> More of that sort of thing might get the message across, once they realize it
> is costing sales.

Another issue is pricing something appropriately.  Apple charged only
$30 for the Snow Leopard upgrade for their OS - which makes it a
'no-brainer' upgrade for almost everyone and almost completely takes
away the incentive to pirate the software.

M$ on the other hand wants somewhere between $70 and $200 for their OS
upgrade making me choose up front which feature sets I may or may not
want.  The temptation to pirate goes up dramatically.

It's the same thing with videos.  I find Netflix's pricing model of
somewhere between $15 and $20 a month for an all you can eat model
very compelling. I don't bother with the streaming for all the reasons
mentioned above - but love the 3-at a time DVD/Blu-rays I get from
them.  I think it's great value, and has taken away the temptation to
d/load movies over p2p.