[mythtv-users] Upgrade from 8.04LTS via 9.04 to 9.10 and Mythtv .22 Remote doesn't function anymore

Larry J - Dell LT larry at foxgulch.com
Wed Dec 9 17:21:56 UTC 2009

I recently completed upgrading my mythtv box the hard way.   I first
upgraded my Mythbuntu 8.04 LTS to 9.04 and then upgraded 9.10.
Somewhere  along I ended up with Mythbuntu 9.10 including MythTV .22.

But my remote control (mceusb connected to my HVR1600 card) did not
function. The channel change script that I used successfully in 8.04 ran
and I was able to change channels on my Satellite receiver via the
HVR1600 Blaster in my new install/upgrade.  Also  "irw" brought up a
window but nothing in response to key presses.  The files associated
with lirc were unchanged from my working mythbuntu 8.04/.21 and
appeared OK.

But pressing buttons on the remote control was fruitless.  For me,  this
is what fixed the problem.

sudo  dpkg-reconfigure  lirc

In dpkg-reconfigure curses (text) window,  I selected  Windows Media
Transceivers  and then Windows Media Center  Dish reflecting that my
remote and blaster that came with the HVR1600 card were  M$ clones.
Your selection of remote and blaster may be different.

If you are installing the HVR1600 card,  my experience my be helpful.
The site without advertising is here:
http://foxgulch.com/WordPress/?p=203

Larry