[mythtv-users] How to make static device nodes for video capture cards in MythTV .22?

Rod Smith mythtv at rodsbooks.com
Wed Dec 9 17:56:37 UTC 2009

On Wednesday 09 December 2009 11:58:30 am Dave wrote:

> I did already make a udev rule (using the python script at the
> link<http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=753434>I provided).
>
> Here's my rule:
> KERNEL=="video*", ATTR{name}=="ivtv0 encoder MPG", ATTRS{vendor}=="0x4444",
> KERNELS=="0000:01:04.*", SYMLINK+="video_PVR150"
>
> I added this rule to /etc/udev/rules.d/60-symlinks.rules
>
> I expected to see /dev/video_PVR150 as a choice in myth backend setup.
> However, it is not there, even after a reboot.

I haven't checked with 0.22, but with 0.21, the MythTV setup utility doesn't
show video device files under non-standard names; you've got to type them in
manually. Check in a shell to see if the file exists (as in "ls /dev/video*"
to see all filenames in /dev that begin with "video"). If it does, then type
the name in manually in the backend. If the file doesn't exist, then
something is wrong with your udev configuration.

One other point: DO NOT add udev rules to the files in /etc/udev/rules.d that
exist on a fresh installation. Instead, CREATE NEW files in /etc/udev/rules.d
to house your rules. The reason is that most distributions are more than
willing to replace the rules files that they create when packages are
upgraded. If you modify one of those files, either your modifications will be
wiped out or you'll not get the benefit of any upgrades (if they're marked as
configuration files in the package). If you create a new udev rules file for
your rules, they'll be safe from tampering and won't interfere with system
updates.

For more information, check the MythTV wiki entry on udev rules:

http://www.mythtv.org/wiki/Device_Filenames_and_udev

--
Rod Smith