[mythtv-users] NewEgg Cheap Nvidia GT220 Cards

Johnny jarpublic at gmail.com
Thu Dec 10 04:09:19 UTC 2009

> Hmmm.  Well, I still don't have any luck with my 8300GS with VDPAU.  It
> has 128 MB on board, although nvidia-xserver-settings reports 512 MB
> allocated (couldn't find any good BIOS setting to throw more memory at
> it).

This seems like something specific to your setup. I have seen many
others reporting successful VDPAU setups with the 8300.

> Don't want to just get "another 8300", but the GT210 referenced above
> has 1 GB of memory, is supposedly a successor to the 8400GS (much better
> than the 8300GS) and has faster 3DVM vantage benchmarks ( * what ever
> that means, probably related just to gaming) so it might do the trick.
> The faster/beefier cards are going to have fans and/or draw too much
> wattage for a myth box, I'd think.

I didn't mean to imply that the 210 was the same as a 8300 in every
way. I was speaking only of VDPAU performance. The 210 will have
similar VDPAU performance (ie no Advanced 2x).