[mythtv-users] Oddly VDPAU makes things WORSE

Andrew Stevens wackston at googlemail.com
Thu Dec 10 08:22:06 UTC 2009

On Wed, 2009-12-09 at 20:47 -0500, Ken Johnson wrote:
> ...  I knew the issue was bigger then I thought so I ended
> up scrolling through my playback profiles one by one trying to find
> where the issue was and sure enough it was VDPAU when it was enabled
> certain movies would tear BUT when I set my decoder to Standard with
> xv-blit and softblend osd with Yadif deinterlacers IT WAS PERFECT. Sure
> my cpu is now at 66% on average but its nothing the Quad can't handle.
> Just wondering if this is a bug or my bad configuration.

I've discovered the same phenomenon trying to track down some sporadic
frame stutter (every few seconds) in 720p playback.

(AMD64/X2 6000, GeForce9500GT).

Endless fiddling with playback settings reveal VDPAU was actually MUCH
worse than than simply using the Standard decoder and Xv blitting.

Presumably some kind of sublte oops in the way mythfrontend tries to
sync and/or a plain old display driver Bug from Nvidia.

Extensive testing reveal trying various SyncToVBlank settings could make
things *worse* but not better.   Next in line for experiments is
Compositing...

cheers,

	Andrew