[mythtv-users] convert recordings to h264

Adam Skinner kingmoffa at gmail.com
Thu Dec 10 13:44:12 UTC 2009

Hi list.

I've been trying to convert my myth recordings to H.264 suitable for
playing on an android phone. Im currently using ffmpeg to convert the
videos using a recent svn version of both ffmpeg and x264.

Videos do convert - but Im having trouble with AV sync on 40% of them. I
think its because some of my recordings from UK DVB-T have reception
problems. Myth TV handles the AV Sync fine for these recordings. (as its
great)

Im using a one pass encoding in a script setup as a user job with
settings like:

ffmpeg -v 0  -i "${directory}/${file}"  -acodec libfaac -ab 64k -ac 1 -s  ${width}x${height} -r 12 -vcodec libx264 -vpre hq -vpre ipod320 -b 250K -bt 288K -metadata "title=${title}" -threads 0 -f ipod "${directory}/android_tmp/${file}.mp4"

Would a two pass encoding help my AV sync problems?

File size and/or quality isn't that important. AV sync is.

Also can anyone please recommend a good setting for ffmpeg for two pass
encoding thats pretty quick.

Thanks in advance.