[mythtv-users] NewEgg Cheap Nvidia GT220 Cards

Johnny Walker johnnyjboss at gmail.com
Thu Dec 10 15:12:59 UTC 2009

On Wed, Dec 9, 2009 at 10:09 PM, Johnny <jarpublic at gmail.com> wrote:
>> Hmmm.  Well, I still don't have any luck with my 8300GS with VDPAU.  It
>> has 128 MB on board, although nvidia-xserver-settings reports 512 MB
>> allocated (couldn't find any good BIOS setting to throw more memory at
>> it).
>
> This seems like something specific to your setup. I have seen many
> others reporting successful VDPAU setups with the 8300.
>
>> Don't want to just get "another 8300", but the GT210 referenced above
>> has 1 GB of memory, is supposedly a successor to the 8400GS (much better
>> than the 8300GS) and has faster 3DVM vantage benchmarks ( * what ever
>> that means, probably related just to gaming) so it might do the trick.
>> The faster/beefier cards are going to have fans and/or draw too much
>> wattage for a myth box, I'd think.
>
> I didn't mean to imply that the 210 was the same as a 8300 in every
> way. I was speaking only of VDPAU performance. The 210 will have
> similar VDPAU performance (ie no Advanced 2x).

I have an onboard 8300 and I run the Nvidia 195.22 driver using HDMI.

I use VDPAU-Normal with Advanced 2x and Advanced 1x as primary and
fallback deinterlacers.

I watched Dexter in 1080 recorded by my HD-PVR on Sunday night with
not a single noticeable issue. Not even when panning, which had been
an issue before I disabled Composite in my xorg.conf.

I was actually surprised when I finished watching to check and see it
was 1080 - the playback was so smooth I had assumed it was 720. (I
haven't locked my STB to 720 only)

I have set integrated 8300 to 512mb in the BIOS.

-JJ