[mythtv-users] Rogers On Demand On line launched

Brian Wood beww at beww.org
Thu Dec 10 15:23:09 UTC 2009

On Thursday 10 December 2009 08:07:56 am Eric Sharkey wrote:
> On Thu, Dec 10, 2009 at 9:56 AM, Brian Wood <beww at beww.org> wrote:
> > We all know cable systems have oversold their data capacity, if every
> > data customer started streaming Hulu at once they would be in serious
> > trouble,
>
> Of course, you can look at this from the other side too.
>
> If cable operators charged their customers for the true cost of
> service based on a 100% usage assumption, the customers would be in
> serious trouble.

Very true, and of course the reason I pay more for my business connection
than the residential rate (I get guaranteed speed and no data limit).

The answer, of course, is full disclosure, though I suspect many residential
customers would have problems understanding contention.

Many cable modem customers have noticed that things seem to slow down
during "rush hour". One of my neighbors is convinced this is "because so
many people are watching TV", see what I mean about understanding?